My Reaction on E-jeep in the Philippines


The rise of e-jeepney in the Philippines
The rise of e-jeepney in the Philippines
My Reaction on E-jeep in the Philippines

By: Arlene Gentallan

E-jeep is increasingly becoming a prominent spectacle in the roads of the Philippines so I thought I'll give my opinion about this new kind of public transport vehicle.

First off, e-jeep fare is a little higher compare with the usual jeepney, although passengers do get some perks like aircon and CCTV surveillance. Initially I was hesitant to use this kind of transport because of the price disparity, but seeing that the pricing is just a few pesos more, I soon just hop on board if they happen to stop by me first.

Philippines is a tropical country so the weather is really hot during most days and that is where the airconditioning of this trasport means is really of value. On the contrary, I came across some e-jeeps with non-functioning airconditioning unit, although I don't know if it's just busted or they're just trying to save energy.

Furthermore, I do feel somehow safe when I ride an electronic jeepeny especially at night because of the CCTV installed, owing to the fact that you get an impression that when bad guys attacks, then footage can be use to catch them.


There have several instances in the past couple of years when I've experienced a national transportation strike which really is a hustle to the citizens who have to commute to work. Luckily there are a few e-jeeps around, but we have to cram inside. Speaking of which, e-jeeps have an everage of 20 plus sitting capacity but in cases where all seats are taken, the vehicle can still carry more people although they have to stand.

You know those time of the day when you're getting  late for work or school but there's just not enough jeep on the streets, then being able to actually stand inside an e-jeep, even if you have to squeeze yourself in, is quite handy.

What I support most on e-jeep is that they are environmentally friendly. Replacing old jeepneys with e-jeeps is one of the steps the government is enacting to fight the ever increasing air pollution. Still, I know the financial and economic burden it has over jeepney drivers and operators. Harsh as it may seem though, it may be the only way to somehow improve the quality of the air we breathe on our streets.


Oh, now that I remember, there are routes where I'm not seeing these e-jeeps yet. Hmmmm...... These things aren't everywhere yet. I wonder if in the future they'll replace the iconic Philippine jeeney that everyone come to know.

Comments

@mypsychologyblogz

Popular Posts